Q: What exactly does the volunteer commitment entail?
A: The expectation is for you to serve 1 hour per week. Exact timing is flexible. There are options to serve from anywhere. THAY works with each volunteer to make serving fit your skills, interests, and schedule. For example, sometimes you could do a chunk at once, like:
- 4 hours tabling at an event
- Teaching yoga classes in Harlem
- Spreading the word about the program at police precincts and other community venues
- Posting on THAY Social Media & updating websites and graphic design work
Q: Can you elaborate more on exactly what is covered in the training?
A: Teacher training covers Ashtanga Basics, What is Trauma and How to Teach Someone Who Has Been Through Trauma, Chair Yoga, Diversity Training & Cultural Competency.
Q: I have a certification in hatha/ashtanga/power/vinyasa/Birkam yoga. Can I take the class?
A: Yes! We'd be delighted to have you join us!
Q: I have no yoga training. Can I take this course?
A: 200+ hour yoga teacher training is required or a daily Ashtanga practice for 2+ years. You can volunteer with us in other capacities! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Q: I live far away. Will I be able to bring THAY to my area?
A: Possibly. You can discuss with Lara at the time of training.
Q: I have a full time job/a busy schedule or I live far away. Is there a way I can fulfill volunteer commitment?
A: Yes. There is a lot of flexibility in fulfilling the service commitment, including digital work, calling precincts, tabling at events, and more.
Q: What are the payment options?
A: Payment options:
- Free for those who make a one-year commitment to volunteering one hour a week. ($100 deposit returned at year end)
- $250 for those who make a six-month commitment to volunteering one hour a week. (plus a $50 deposit returned after six months)
- $550 for those who would like the training with no volunteer commitment
Q: Sign me up! What do I need to do to register?
A: Click the "Donate Now" button at the top of this page. In your donation notes specify the payment option that works for you. Make sure to include "Trauma Training" in your PayPal memo. After you have submitted payment, send an email with your payment screenshot to email@example.com and you’re all set! Your spot for teacher training will be reserved.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions.
Q: What should I bring to the training?
A: Just yourself in clothes you are able to do yoga in and a pen.